Telling the U’s Story
Occasionally, we get asked by faculty and staff about who is the University News Service and what is our role. The short story is we are the entry point for journalists who need information about the U. We tell the stories of the people, the work and the value that the U delivers to students, the state's economy and Minnesotans through internal and external communication channels.
The University News Service is part of the Office of University Relations, which is also made up of the Government and Community Relations and Marketing departments. Among the specific functions of the University News Service are:
- Providing public relations support and strategic counsel, including developing communications plans and messages, and issues and crisis management;
- Identifying and framing stories to reflect the U's mission, legislative requests and priorities of the Board of Regents and the President;
- Connecting journalists with faculty sources and manage incoming media requests;
- Drafting and distributing news releases;
- Conducting media training for Regents and senior leadership, faculty, staff, and students;
- Overseeing the U's ReadyCam® Broadcast Studio; and
- Enhancing internal communications
Meet the University News Service team and see their campus beats.
Evan Lapiska - Public Relations Director
Emmalynn Bauer - Public Relations Consultant
Lacey Nygard - Public Relations Consultant
Patrick Stumpf - Public Relations Consultant
The University News Service is located in 3 Morrill Hall and can be reached 612-624-5551 or firstname.lastname@example.org. If you have any questions or would like to learn more, please feel free to contact us. We look forward to hearing from you!