Search Replacement and Tabbed Search
Google Search Appliance Retirement
At the end of 2018, Google will retire the Google Search Appliance (GSA). The GSA has been the supported search solution for U of M websites since 2002 and the new U search interface is based on the GSA.
Google does not plan to provide a suitable alternative to the Search Appliance. The Office of Information Technology, along with University Relations, has formally started the process to replace the GSA and will provide multiple/different ways for users to provide input on the replacement.
Important: Update Tabbed Search
When the GSA is retired, tabbed search will no longer work (see image for an example of what tabbed search looks like). If you're still using tabbed search results for your websites, we urge you to move to the U search interface by the end of March 2018.
Units that have implemented the U search interface will be able to more easily transition to the upcoming search replacement.
Example of a tabbed search results page.
There are resources to help you update the search results on your website(s).
The Search Self-Help Guide will walk you through updating your site to the new interface: z.umn.edu/searchhelp.
Complete set up—We recommend that you set up your search results to include your unit's branding and have OIT set the biasing on your results to show your unit search results first, followed by the campus search results.
Easy set up—If the complete set up is more than you have time for, simply changing your tabbed search to point to the U's general search results is quicker. These are the three steps in the self-help guide to follow for that:
- Adding University Search to a Drupal Enterprise Website
- Adding University Search to a Drupal Lite Website
- Adding University Search to Static HTML
There are a number of Search Information and Help Sessions scheduled for hands-on help to set up your site with the new interface.
Sign up here: z.umn.edu/searchinfo.
- January 9, 1:00 - 2:30 pm, 121 Bruininks Hall, East Bank CANCELLED
- January 26, 10:30 am - 12:00 pm, CSOM 1-136, West Bank
- February 13, 1:00 - 2:30 pm, 145 Peters Hall, St. Paul
- February 28, 10:30 am - 12:00 pm, 140 Nolte Center, East Bank
- March 14, 2:30 - 4:00 pm, 140 Nolte Center, East Bank
- March 27, 8:30 - 10:00 am, 7 Mondale Hall, West Bank