New name, same us!
You may have noticed in a few places that we have replaced the “University News Service” name with “University Public Relations” or “Public Relations, Office of University Relations.”
Why? The Public Relations name reflects the broad scope of our work and the strategic partnership we aim to have with our colleagues on campus. In other words, we consider ourselves more than a media team or press office, so we believe our name should reflect that.
Despite this shift, our role in the University and our work with our colleagues hasn't changed. We still view our team to function as the entry point for journalists who need information about the U. We tell the stories of the people, the work and the value that the U delivers to students, the state's economy and Minnesotans through internal and external communication channels.
University Public Relations is part of the Office of University Relations, which includes the Government and Community Relations and Marketing departments. Specific functions of the Public Relations team include:
- Providing public relations support and strategic counsel, including developing communications plans and messages, and participating in issues and crisis management;
- Identifying and framing stories to reflect the U's mission, legislative requests and priorities of the Board of Regents and the President;
- Connecting journalists with faculty sources and managing incoming media requests;
- Drafting and distributing news releases;
- Conducting media training for regents and senior leadership, faculty, staff, and students;
- Overseeing the U's ReadyCam® Broadcast Studio; and
- Enhancing and expanding internal communications.
University Public Relations can be reached 612-624-5551 or email@example.com. If you have any questions or would like to learn more, please feel free to reach out!