Mass Email Template
This resource is available to U of M faculty, staff, and departmental accounts.Login to Download
Mass Email Templates in Salesforce Marketing Cloud
Branded templates are provided for all campuses in Salesforce Marketing Cloud.
Select a Template
- Access the “My Emails” section of Marketing Cloud. In the horizontal menu across the top, click “Create” and “Template Based” in the dropdown menu. A dialog box will appear.
- The first field requests that you select a template. Click the “Select” button to the right of the field.
- Click the “+” next to “Shared Templates”. A series of folders will appear. Select the “UREL” folder for a Twin Cities campus template or select your campus folder.
- Select either the Branded Template or the Branded Template—Short Header template.
- Finish filling out your email name, subject, and any additional necessary fields and click “Save” at the top. You will be brought to an email editing screen.
Add Content Items to Your Template
- Click a content region on your email. In the box that appears, click “Retrieve Content”.
- Click “Browse” to the right of the “Look in” box.
- In the file-tree that appears, navigate to “Shared Contents > UREL > Branded Template” (this can be used by all campuses).
- If you are using the Short Header template you will have an extra content area labeled Insert Minimal Header. You must add a header content item to this region. These are located in Shared Contents > UREL > Branded Template > Short Header. You will have a Maroon, Black, and Gold option from which to choose. Navigate to that directory and skip to step 6 below.
- Click “OK”
- You will be presented with a list of content items:
- Button: provides you with a CSS formatted button and associated text. Often used for emails that require and RSVP
- Content—No Heading: A basic paragraph without headings.
- Main Heading—Content: A content item for the body of your email. Contains the highest level heading.
- Optional Pre-Header: Text for the pre-header at the very top of your email. This is the very first content region in the branded template.
- Secondary Heading—Content: Another content item but with a smaller level heading.
- Unit Name: The unit name or email title for the gold bar across the top of your email.
- Select a content item and click “Ok”.
- Click your inserted content item. In the menu that appears click “Modify Content” to add your custom content if necessary..
- Add as many content items as you need.
Footer content is stored in a different location than body content. Refer to step 3 of the section above but instead of selecting “Branded Template” select “Footers.” Make sure you add your footer content to a footer region in your email template.
Three footers are provided:
- Footer Internal: Use when only sending to University of Minnesota recipients. E.g. Twin Cities Faculty and Staff
- Footer DMS: Use when sending to a list produced from DMS from UMAA.
- Footer Non-DMS External: Use this footer when sending to a list of recipients outside the UofM and not produced from DMS. E.g. addresses collected on your site for a newsletter.
Mass Email Template Download
The email template download is coded to be responsive. Text and images in the email template will resize in order to render well on a range of screen sizes from mobile to desktop.
The download includes templates for HTML and plain text email messages, as well as graphic headers for each campus. A short header variant (not campus-specific) is also included with three background color options: black, maroon, and gold.
The responsive email template has been tested on all major email clients, including mobile email clients, and provides consistent rendering as is.
A web developer or staff member familiar with the nuances of HTML email should customize the templates for your unit.
The downloadable version contains code for:
- Preheader text (for more information about preheader text, see A practical guide for preheaders from Campaign Monitor)
- A standard University of Minnesota graphic header that meets brand requirements (the template download includes a graphic header for each campus)
- A section for a unit, project, or other pertinent name/heading (insert custom text by replacing the “UNIT NAME” in the code)
- A paragraph
- A primary text heading
- A secondary text heading
- A link
- Footer text (see Mass Email Requirements for information on required elements that can be placed in the footer)
The template also contains comments (denoted by <!-- comment text --> and /*comment text*/) that will explain the purpose and use of the different sections. Note: These comments should be removed before sending the email.
All of the tables in this template are single column, nested inside one another. It is difficult to use multiple columns in a responsive email, and we advise against that at this time (spring 2016).
- About Mass Email
- Branding in Mass Email
- External Mass Email
- Internal Mass Email
- Mass Email Requirements