Web accessibility testing with Pope Tech
August 29, 2022
Pope Tech is an OIT provided web accessibility checking tool available for use in conjunction with the OIT Drupal Enterprise platform. Using the tool, site owners can test their websites for web accessibility issues and ensure compliance with Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) 2.1 minimum level AA. Following a year-long RFP process, Pope Tech was selected to help make digital content and websites accessible to everyone.
Benefits of utilizing Pope Tech
Inclusive websites and digital content
- Provides equal access to information and web content
Robust reporting of website accessibility health
- Demonstrate progress toward WCAG 2.1 AA compliance over time
- Provides overall accessibility health for a given site at the local level, or for a group of sites at the collegiate and campus level.
Cost savings for departments
- University funded: No Charge
- Colleges and departments no longer need to pay for a third-party web accessibility tool
Standardize web accessibility checker tool
- Improves support and consistency across all Drupal websites
Pope Tech is free for University staff, faculty, and students working on UMN-related websites hosted on the OIT Drupal Enterprise platform.
There are no technical limitations preventing sites not hosted on the OIT Drupal platform from being added. However, due to limitations in our contract with the vendor, currently only OIT-hosted Drupal sites can be added. To make Pope Tech available to sites not running Drupal, OIT plans to expand its use beyond its hosted Drupal sites by Spring 2023.
To learn more about Pope Tech, please email email@example.com.