The State of Journalism in 2020
Muck Rack is out with its annual report for 2020, shedding light on how journalists adapt to trends in the industry.
Here are five key findings you may find useful:
- Twitter continues to be the preferred social network, with 85 percent of respondents finding it the most valuable.
- Most journalists—93 percent of those surveyed—prefer a pitch via email.
- While email is preferred, 80 percent of journalists said that a quarter or less of their stories originate from pitches.
- Of respondents, 77 percent said that connecting a story to a trending subject is the number one factor of a sharable story.
- When you're pitching, note that 64 percent prefer to receive an email between 5 a.m. and noon.
Full data from this year's report are available here: https://muckrack.com/blog/2020/03/12/state-of-journalism-2020
University Relations can help you connect with reporters in the ways they prefer. Expert Alerts, Research Briefs, and Talking ... with U of M are available tools used by the University to highlight faculty expertise on relevant topics. University Relations staff are also available to discuss strategic media contacts for individual story pitches and how your story idea may fit into broader University stories that could amplify your reach. Please reach out to email@example.com with any ideas or questions.